Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Haven't done a reading review in a while, so you're going to get 2 for the price of 1.
"The Songlines" - Bruce Chatwin. I felt short-changed by this book. I was expecting a book on his travels in Australia with an emphasis on the Aborigines. Instead, a third of this book was extracts from his notebooks which consisted of quotations from a wide range of writers and anecdotes of prior travels.

"Three Junes" - Julia Glass. Winner of the 2002 National Book Award. For an award winner this book was littered with factual mistakes. If you're going to set a novel in a country you don't live in and have only visited on holiday about 25 years ago you think the author would do some research? Not Julia Glass. I won't bore you with a list of mistakes. I also can't believe this book won a prize, to me this book was very much a beach read. Read it once and put it out for the next charity collection.

No comments: